Friday, December 3, 2010

Happy Holtzgiving!!

Well we did it! We hosted our first Thanksgiving and made it out alive!
It all started with the arrival of my dad the Friday before Thanksgiving. That weekend he helped us put up Christmas lights. We had to get it done early since Mike would be leaving for a 3-week class in Ohio the next weekend.Mom got into town on Monday and Grandma and Grandpa showed up Wednesday evening. I baked some bread (THANKS, ELLIE!) and made a spaghetti dinner complete with fresh oregano and parsley from the garden!
The Thanksgiving feast itself was great. We had turkey (of course), spinach salad, mashed potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, homemade stuffing (made with the homemade bread), cornbread, couscous and homemade pumpkin cheesecake!










Everyone was ready to get out of the house on Friday. Mike, Mom and I went to the Gap for 50% off before 10 am. (We showed up at 8, we're not hardcore...) Then we all had lunch at one of our favorites, Sugarbakers. We thought we'd take on the Black Friday shoppers once again so we went to DSW and Best Buy. Mike helped my grandparents get set up with DirectTV, a 46" flatscreen TV and a Bose home theater system.

On Friday evening we celebrated Christmas and exchanged gifts. Mom brought a fireplace DVD to set the mood and I had my 2 foot tree set up. We didn't get a live tree this year since I would be the only one around to enjoy it pretty much.So we survived hosting our first Thanksgiving! I had a blast and I'd do it again any time! I'm glad we started with a part of 6. More people would have been more work for sure. We probably won't host again any time soon. I missed seeing the rest of my family and my Kansas friends. Maybe we'll host each time we PCS so folks have an excuse to come see us! :)

1 comment:

Jan Golden said...

I really loved your blog. It sounds like y'all had a great Holtzgiving. The food looked wonderful! Can't wait till your next blog Holtzmas. My nephew found a great wife!