Thursday, April 12, 2012

Feeding Friendship: Cauliflower Crust Pizza

I've had this recipe for a while, but I can't said I had it in mind when I chose pizza for this round of Feeding Friendship. I thought it might be a good way to lighten up my favorite dish and add some more nutrients. I topped this unique crust off with a classic red sauce, mozzarella cheese, olives, artichoke hearts, and sauteed mushrooms

It turned out ok, but one of my favorite elements to a good pizza, a crispy crust, was noticeably absent. This could have been improved a bit if I'd used less sauce. Either way, this might be a fun gluten-free option, if you're in the market. I adapted it from this recipe.


Here's how I made it:

Ingedients


3-4 large florets of cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
2-3 garlic cloves, pressed/minced (1 tsp)
Salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Preheat the oven for 450 degrees

The first step is to "rice" the cauliflower. This is just a fancy way of saying, "put it in the food processor until it looks like a grain."

According to the recipe, the next step is to put 1 cup of the riced cauliflower in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on for 8 minutes. I just realized that I didn't do this and I didn't have an issue. I don't think that would have helped the less-than-crispy crust issue.

In a medium bowl, mixed 1 cup riced cauliflower, beaten egg and mozzarella

Add oregano, garlic, salt, pepper to the mix.

On a greased baking sheet or parchment paper, pour the mixture out and pat into a 9" round about 1/2" thick.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

Let the pizza cool for roughly an hour while you take in some intense physical training.

Add desired toppings and place under the broiler on high heat until cheese is melted.


No comments: